Safe Urban Driving (SUD)
Safe Urban Driving (SUD) is essential training for all commercial drivers operating HGVs regularly in the urban environment and where there are high volumes of vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians. SUD Training is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Fleet Operator Recognition
- Scheme (FORS) Silver level
- Construction Logistics & Cyclist Safety (CLOCS) Standard
SUD is delivered in two sections, a classroom theory module and a practical cycling module, where drivers experience a cyclist’s view of the road. The two modules are delivered on the same day, and courses are run around the country by a number of training providers.
This course is DCPC approved by licensed training providers and runs for seven hours in accordance with periodic training regulations. Drivers attending this course will need to be physically able to ride a bicycle in order to complete the course and receive a certificate.
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users
Van Smart is a Transport for London (TfL) backed driver training programme that aims to reduce work related road risks, improve safety and create long-term behavioural change in the van sector.
In London, vans account for 80 per cent of all road freight mileage. 10 per cent of road traffic incidents involve a van and 11 per cent of these incidents result in serious injury or fatality. A DVSA (then VOSA) report revealed that many vans fail their MOT first time and 89 per cent of those stopped were found to be overweight.
- A Driver Handbook – covering everything a van driver needs to know about how to be a safe, professional and courteous driver. This handbook is the takeaway from the Van Smart driver training course
- A Toolkit for Managers – essentially a ‘How to’ guide for fleet operators and transport managers to help implement the Van Smart programme. The toolkit includes guidance on recruiting safety-minded staff, improving driving standards and running internal safety campaigns. It also includes Van Smart tools such as toolbox talks and awareness posters
- A Competency Framework – this underpins the whole programme and defines what competencies van drivers need to have, what they need to do, and when and what behaviours they should demonstrate
- Toolbox Talks – six driver briefings that promote informal discussion with the workforce. Each one focuses on a particular safety issue and mirror the key messages of the Van Smart training programme
- Poster Set – a series of posters that visually communicate the six key messages of the Van Smart training programme
The Staying Legal course is designed to inform all HGV drivers of the requirements to remain compliant, when driving an HGV commercially on public roads. The learning aims are to raise the overall HGV compliance standards, along with the protection of the actual Operators Licence. Staying Legal is fully Driver CPC accredited and amounts to a seven hour Driver CPC training module, towards a driver’s graduated total.
The course syllabus includes the following topics:
- Operator licensing requirements
- Regulatory framework that governs the road transport industry
- Enforcement agencies that police non-compliant operations
- Enforcing regulations – the targeting methods used and the common offences
- Driver offences and the consequences of non-compliance
- A compliant driver
- A compliant vehicle
- A compliant journey
- Industry led initiatives to reduce Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
The course is designed to educate drivers of the need to remain compliant, when driving an HGV commercially on public roads. The course objectives are to raise compliance standards, along with the protection of the Operators Licence.
LoCITY Driving is a classroom-based course that focuses on minimising the environmental impact of vans and HGVs by reducing emissions through the use of pre-journey planning and vehicle checks, fuel-efficient driving, and alternative fuels. The seven-hour CPC-accredited course which is aimed at drivers gives attendees the knowledge and skills needed to cut costs and minimise the environmental impact of fleet operations.
The course was also the recipient of the prestigious Education in Transport award at the 2017 National Courier Awards for “demonstrating a commitment to education for the advancement of those working in the express industry”.
The course covers the following topics:
- The relationship between driving style, fuel consumption and environmental impact
- How regular maintenance and vehicle checks can cut costs and emissions
- Fuel efficient driving techniques
- Use of in-vehicle technology to improve fuel economy
- Benefits of journey planning
- Alternative fuels in commercial vehicles
TruckSmart driver training is a seven-hour training course for all commercial HGV drivers, with a supporting toolkit for Fleet Managers equipping them with the knowledge and skills to operate and manage safe and roadworthy vehicles. To view all funded dates available, please scroll down the page.
TruckSmart focuses on the importance of driving roadworthy HGVs and the role of the driver in ensuring that vehicles and loads are safe and legal at all times. Alongside TruckSmart driver training, there is an eLearning module. The accompanying TruckSmart Fleet Manager Toolkit provides tools, guidance and resources for managers looking to develop and implement an HGV safety system within their organisation. TruckSmart tracks a series of five themes. These five simple messages are echoed throughout both the TruckSmart training course and the accompanying fleet manager toolkit. They are:
- Know it: a safe vehicle matters
- Check it: walk around before, during and after journeys
- Load it: plan and position your load safely
- Secure it: secure your load correctly
- Report it: record problems and take action
Who should attend TruckSmart?
TruckSmart is essential training for all HGV commercial drivers, regardless of their area of operation. The training will raise levels of knowledge to enhance awareness of the importance of HGV safety and their own roles and responsibilities in ensuring that HGVs are safe and roadworthy at all times.
What drivers will learn from TruckSmart?
TruckSmart follows a comprehensive course programme that also aligns to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence syllabus.
The course covers the following subject areas:
- The moral, economic and legal importance of operating safe and roadworthy vehicles
- Drivers’ roles and responsibilities within the HGV safety system
- Vehicle checks and defect reporting
- The principles of safe loading
- The elements of a good load security system and the different types and use of load restraints
- How to mitigate the effects of loads on driving and operational performance
- The roles and responsibilities of the regulatory and enforcement bodies
- The risks, penalties and consequences of driving with an unroadworthy vehicle or unsafe load