PCV Licence and Training Explained. A Complete Guide

Minibus Licence Training

If you drive for hire and reward you will need to gain PCV entitlement. Hire and reward does not mean if you take fares for any journey, it means if you are paid to drive the minibus or bus as part of your duties.. We are always here to talk to you and advise about your PCV training so please call us on 01424 432200.

Our PCV Licence – Course Information

Minibus Training Vehicle

PCV Category D1 (Minibuses)

You can drive minibuses with 9 to 16 passenger seats from age 21.

The D1 driving licence is a legal requirement for those driving most types of minibuses for professional purposes.

If you hold an ‘acquired rights’ car licence issued before January 1997, and have category D1 with restriction code ‘101’ you will still need to apply as a new applicant if you want to have the restriction removed.

If you passed your car test after January 1997 you are not entitled to drive a minibus without taking the required Minibus PCV D1 Test.

Our Ford Transit Minibuses are representative of most educational establishments and commercial operators.

Our vehicles are modern, comfortable, easy to drive, and a pleasure to undertake the DVSA test successfully in, making the whole process an enjoyable experience.

Our own replica DVSA reversing area makes practice for the test an essential asset for the minibus licence learner driver.

PCV Driver CPC

All PCV drivers are now required to hold a Driver CPC card to drive professionally.

Existing Driver CPC card holders will need to complete the next block of 35 hours of periodic training before the September 2024 to continue to drive professionally.

Module 1a Multiple Choice (1.5hrs)

This will be 100 multiple choice questions, the pass mark is 85.

Module 1b Hazard Perception. (45 mins)

You will be presented with a series of 19 video or cgi clips which feature everyday road scenes. In each clip there will be at least one developing hazard, but one of the clips will feature two developing hazards.

To achieve a high score you will need to respond to the developing hazard during the early part of its development. The maximum you can score on each hazard is five. You will not be able to review your answers to the hazard perception test: as on the road, you will only have one chance to respond to the developing hazard.

The pass mark for the hazard perception part of the theory test is 67 out of 100.

Module 2 Case Studies (1.5 hrs)

Based on real life scenarios you may encounter in your working life.

It aims to test your knowledge and how you put it into practice.

You will be asked to answer a number of multiple choice questions.

This will be made up of seven case studies, each one with 6 to 8 questions with a maximum score of 50, you must answer 38 correctly.

You will be allocated 1½ hours to complete the test.

Module 3 Practical Test (1.5 hrs)

The test starts with a selection of ‘show me tell me’ questions.

A reverse exercise from right to left over a predetermined course into a simulated loading bay.

The actual on road driving time will be a minimum of 1 hour, to include 15 minutes of independent driving, this will give the examiner time to assess candidates driving in varied traffic conditions over a wide variety of roads.

On conclusion of the test a full debrief is given.

Module 4 Driver CPC Practical Test (30 mins)

This ½ hour test will require you to demonstrate your knowledge and ability in the areas listed below:

Ability to load the vehicle with due regard for safety rules and proper vehicle use

Security of the vehicle and contents

Ability to prevent criminality and trafficking in illegal immigrants

Ability to assess emergency situations

Ability to prevent physical risk

Demonstrate your ability through a physical walk round vehicle safety check

To pass candidates have to score 15 out of a possible 20 points in each topic area (75%) and an overall score of 80%

To book your course or for more information.
Call: 01424 432200

Get a quote today
Book Now 01424 432200
Driver CPC Logo
Qualification Guide
Click below to view the steps to becoming a qualified driver.

Get ‘Starter Pack’ from Driver Training Centre, this will include all info for the category of licence required.

Get Your Starter Pack Here

Medical required for LGV or PCV licence application.

These may be available from your own doctor who are now reluctant to do, or make an appointment with us, this is £75.00 for first provisional and are held weekly.

We hold large stocks of forms D2 and D4 required.

You can book and pay for your course in advance if required, you will then get FREE admission to our online Theory Test facility, which will give you all the questions and answers required and will prepare you for the theory tests in advance, whilst waiting for your licence to be issued by DVLA.

Obtain login details for your FREE ‘Online Theory Test Training’ from Driver
Training Centre.

When you receive your Licence with Provisional Entitlement, you can then Book your Theory Tests by Telephone: 0300 200 1122 or Online: www.direct.gov.uk

You will need:
a. Multiple Choice
b. Hazard Perception
c. Driver CPC Module 2 case studies

When you have passed the relevant theory tests, call our bookings hotline for fast track joining instructions. Tel: 01424 432200

Please remember to send us copies of any theory test papers as you receive them.

To book your course or for more information.
Call: 01424 432200

PCV Driver Training – What is a PCV Licence?

There is often quite a lot of confusion surrounding PCV licensing with many confusing what is known as the PSV licence. There is no difference between the PSV licence and the PCV licence apart from the name. in 1982 the PSV licence was technically abolished and then replaced with the PCV licence

Now onto another potential confusing area which we will talk about here which is when conditions allow you to be able to drive a minibus “without” having a PCV licence. If you obtained a car licence before January 1st 1997 you can legally drive minibuses for non commercial purposes. A minibus is classed as a vehicle that does not exceed 8 metres in length and carries between nine and sixteen passengers.

Anyone who obtained their car licence “after” 1st Jan 1997 can also drive a minibus on a car licence only if all the conditions listed below are met:

  • The minibuses is being driven in the UK and not abroad
  • Is not towing a trailer
  • The driver is at least 21 years old
  • The driver has possessed a car licence for at least 2 years
  • The driver is operating the minibus on a voluntary basis and is only offered cover for out of pocket expenses ( no payment allowed ) as a driver
  • The vehicle weighs no more than 3500kg (maximum authorised mass) or 4250kg if the vehicle has additional equipment such as a passenger lift to allow the carriage of disabled passengers.
  • The minibus is being used for social / non commercial purposes / by a non commercial operator

* Another variation / rule is if a driver is over 70 years he/she can still drive legally on a car licence the driver must pass a PCV Medical and shown by the code of either 120 or (NFHR).

More can be read here http://www.ctauk.org/training/who-can-drive-a-minibus.aspx

So to sum this up if you need to operate a minibus professionally at all then you will need a Category D1 vehicle licence.

PCV Categories Explained

  • Category D1. As seen earlier on this page above allows you to drive a minibus up to 16 seats, no longer than 8 metres in length and trailers are allowed up to 750kg.
  • Category D1+E.  This enables you to do the same as a D1 above but allows for heavier trailers to be towed. Worth noting the trailer must not outweigh the vehicle doing the towing and both trailer and vehicle combined must not be over 12 tonnes.
  • Category D. The category D licence is for Bus and Coach drivers who will be operating with more than 16 passengers and with trailers up to 750kg.
  • Category D+E. This is the last and most advanced of the Cat D licences you can obtain. It enables you to drive a bus or coach with more than 16 passengers and towing a trailer heavier than 750kg. You also of course receive the acquired rights on all the other Category D licence types mentioned above.

If you are still left confused please do let us know what it is you would like to do and we can guide you to the right type of PCV training. Our training courses provide everything you need to pass your test including Theory, Practical and CPC training. Read more about driver cpc

Check out our PCV Faq page for more information on the process.

Driver CPC Requirements

During your PCV training you will fulfil the initial CPC requirements. When training and testing is complete you will be presented / issued your CPC card. This card is good for five years. During those five years you must undergo 35hrs of further CPC training. By completing your training you can renew your card for a further 5 years.

Driver Training Centre is a JAUPT approved driver CPC centre. For acquisition and renewal of qualification cards.

HGV Training

We are a flexible HGV training centre with modern easy to drive, comfortable vehicles, fully air conditioned classrooms, off road manoeuvring facilities, a fully equipped training centre to cater for every transport training requirement.


Driver CPC Training

35 hrs of Periodic Training is required to maintain licence compliance. Training can be taken in blocks of seven hours or as an intensive course.


Towing & Caravans

We offer C1+E, D1+E towing courses for all categories of vehicles, Horse-box Owners, Cargo Trailers and of course Caravans.


Minibus Training D1

If you drive for hire and reward you will need to gain PCV entitlement. Hire and reward does not mean if you take fares for any journey, it means if you are paid to drive the minibus or bus as part of your duties. We serve Sussex, Kent and further afield with PCV training.


ADR Training

All Drivers of vehicles over 3.5 tonnes carrying dangerous substances in packages, tank containers and road tanker vehicles must attend a Department of Transport approved ADR course and pass the relevant Examinations.


Ambulance Driver Training

We now have two vehicles specifically for the purpose of training ambulance drivers and LGV C1. To Become an ambulance driver you will need a minimum of a C1 licence due to the weight of the vehicle you will be driving. When an ambulance is loaded with equipment and patients it often falls between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.


Horsebox Training

We offer towing courses for all categories of vehicles, C1, D1, Horseboxes, Plant Trailers, Caravans and Others.


Why Choose Us For Your Driver Training?

Modern Fleet of Vehicles

Our modern fleet of vehicles are regularly maintained, comfortable, easy to drive, and make licence acquisition a pleasure.

Quality Tuition

Our fully qualified Instructors will ensure you receive quality tuition for all categories of training.

Ideally Situated

Driver Training Centre is situated next door to the DVSA driving test centre at Hastings and provides easy access for any tests.Driver Training Centre has the resources and experience to deliver our customers requirements.